9 May 2005

A girl in slippers and shorts

This is a glorious morning. I was walking to the building where I'm working and everywhere was drenched in sunshine and mist. (Okay, it's more like haze, but why go and spoil it?)

A girl (probably a student) was walking back to her hostel room after buying a copy of the newspaper from the canteen. She was wearing a plain white T-shirt and dark blue sport shorts and ambling along comfortably in a pair of rubber slippers. It was a bit disconcerting. On one hand, it's the natural attire for anyone living in a university hostel, but on the other it seems a bit too insouciant, lackadaisical to be walking around the campus wearing those things.

I wonder what she'll be doing this day. She seemed so.... at ease and carefree. Maybe she'll switch on the TV in her room to watch the morning news while drinking her kopi and savouring kaya toast and flipping through the newspapers. The exams should probably be over by now. It's vacation time for them! I can still remember my own student days. Vacations were too long for my liking then (about 10 weeks at a go), but it was a welcomed break from school. The only problem was, if you did not procure a vacation job, how are you supposed to fill those 10 empty weeks? There's only so much (window) shopping you can do, and so many movies you can watch.

Now that I'm working, I get about 20 days of leave every year. Not quite enough, but compared to some of my friends who work in the private sector and get only 10 days, I should feel quite privileged!

Ahhh, university life, there's nothing quite like it!

No comments: