9 Aug 2005

Shallowness is the key to pleasantness

I think I'm becoming shallower and shallower each day. Nowadays, I'm occupied with things such as whether I'll be able to afford that Canon digital camera next month or whether I need lip glosses in more colours to add variety to my life. I think about bags, shoes, makeup. I watch bitchy reality shows such as The Apprentice 3 and America's Next Top Model (Nope) 2.

Being shallow makes things more pleasant not just for myself, but for others too. Friends and family find me more tolerable now. Most teenagers like to be angsty and philosophical. They sulk and scowl and refuse to belittle themselves by responding to your questions or acknowledging the fact that you are talking to them! And what excuses are offered for their behaviour? They are "confused" and "trying to find their directions in the adult world" etc.

I know because I went through that phase too. You keep thinking to yourself that here I am, pondering about life's deep questions such as what is the purpose of life and how I fit in the scheme of things, and all my parents do is to bug me about helping out with household chores. Probably you look down on most people too, as they don't seem as concerned, or as contemplative as you are. I think this adolescent brand of philosophy is more of self-centredness, the "I, I, I" philosophy. I have done that before, and was a bit tired of it, as no matter how much time I spend mulling over it, I still don't know the answers. Better go out there and experience it instead. Action over thought. Thought can be paralysing sometimes.

Anyway, shallow people aren't half as unpleasant as people who like to foist "deep" and "difficult" conversations on you. Talk that just goes in a circular pattern, and then you find that at the end of it you are still confounded. Well, whatever.

No comments: