15 Jan 2007

Why didn't I study harder for Geography when I was young?

The weather has been freakish for the past month. I've never seen Sin8apore so drenched in rain before. Today, I got to talking with a sweet-looking, dimpled French girl on exchange, who said that back home , people are milling around in summer attire when it's supposed to be deep in winter because it's been unusually warm, about 15 degree celsius as opposed to the usually 3-5 degree celsius.

And last night, I was bumming at home, watching the epic-disaster movie "The Day After Tomorrow" which was wildly exaggerating but still reasonably scary. The scene that caught my attention was the one with Jake Gyllenhaal trying to stop people from leaving the library and trekking to the south because they'll freeze to death once outside. How do you know, someone asked, and he replied that because his father is a paleoclimatologist working for the US government (and the 1 who briefed the Mr President of USA) .

Wow, that sounded so cool, so authoritative, the kind of thing that would stop people in their tracks (but, of course they didn't in the movie because someone has to go outside to freeze their butts and chalk up the death count for not listening to the cute lead). Which of course got me to thinking that if I had studied harder for Geography when I was in secondary school I could have become a paleoclimatologist too.

But how do you get worked up about Geography when you had roly poly teachers who treated the lesson as an extended lunch break by demonstrating how a gorge is formed via munching on a piece of sponge cake, or tell you gleefully that the geography department in university makes you chomp on soil as part of the education? Or another one who got more excited about our upcoming prom and what we're going to wear than us?

But I think all the paleoclimatologist-wannabes in Singapore can ever amount to would be hapless weathermen who kena questioned by ST for not issuing a heavy rain warning earlier last Thursday. So boring!

No comments: