30 Nov 2009

$$$


Yesterday, I finally bought a new violin case which is much awaited as I had been carrying one that was falling apart, week in, week out.


But instead of feeling cheerful about it, I came out of the shop a bit down. This is because, between a Korean-made case and a China one, I chose the latter, because it is cheaper. When the shop staff opened the Korean-made case for me to see, my first reaction was: "Wow, it looks so good!". But it was almost 300 bucks, more than I had budgeted for.

I also bought a metronome and a mute and chose the cheaper (and inferior) version for both. I felt like a poor kid who has picked up an expensive hobby.

Recently, I finally got around to calculating how much my savings total up to, and it fell short of even my low expectations.

"What did you spend your money on?", my sister asked. I looked around my not exactly bare, but plainly furnished room, and said: "Does it look like I spend a lot?"

She looked at me for a second and said no. It's simply that I'm not earning a lot, I explained to her.

Ignorance is bliss probably shouldn't apply to financial planning, but now I'm feeling kinda worried for myself ever since I've taken stock of my savings. You know how parents always tell us how lucky our generation is compared to theirs? My father did the opposite the other day. While driving, he suddenly said that his generation had it easier than us. Look at the price of everything; look at the price of housing. Our generation is in for a difficult time, he tells me. When your parent tells you that, you know it's bad.

I wonder whether I'll ever have enough money to provide a roof over my own head. I wonder until what age I would have to work before I can call it a day. I wonder whether anyone would still want to hire me when I'm 35. Wondering never ceases...

1 comment:

mama said...

I call this the mid life crisis. Welcome to the club :D. At least you are not in a sunset industry. I'm constantly on my toes waiting for the axe to fall on me. After a while... you kinda get used to it. Haha. *Sad laughter*