2 Jan 2011

Sunshine beckons



"What a long, maddening, illuminative year this has been" was how I described 2010 on Facebook.

A colleague saw it and thought I was complaining. "It could have been better, huh?", he asked. Yes, it certainly could have been better, but it wouldn't have been as educative. As I replied, any pain or struggle along the way was worth it.

It has been a curious year during which I went through quite a lot of ups and downs, mostly the latter. Due to the stress and upsets (imagined or otherwise) at the workplace, not to mention being worn down by minor ailments that I couldn't shake off, I was in low spirits for a large part of the year.

During those wintry months when my soul caught a chill, I had lots of down time to hibernate and reflect on myself. There is this a flighty, Geminian side of me that becomes preoccupied with new people and acquaintances. But I really ought to be nicer to and more appreciative of the people who matter, people who have been in my life for a long time, like my family and close friends. People in the workplace, they figure prominently in my daily life, but most likely, they will fade away once I leave the place.

Maybe the year was tough going also because I worry too much, about where I'm headed to next, whether I'm too different to ever fit into anyone's scheme of things, or too old to make something out of my life. But I think I'm getting better at this--since hitting 30 my angst level has been dropping off ever so gently. This is one advantage of age that I hadn't reckon on. :) Life would be easier if I take myself, and everything else, less seriously. Since boo-boos happen whether I like them or not, might as well view them with good humour.

In 2010, I was sitting still, waiting quietly for my grey skies to clear. And, thankfully, the gloom did lift during the last months. Now, the first faint rays of sunshine in 2011 seem to beckon me to come out and play. Perhaps that is what I'll do. I've done my fair share of worrying to last me a long time. May 2011 be filled with sunshine and promise for you reading this, yes, all 2 of you!


No comments: