31 Jul 2005

CPU brain

I have a short memory. There are many things that I forget after a certain period of time. It's almost like my brain is like a CPU with a fixed amount of memory space. Old files get erased to make way for the new ones.

People like me should make scrapbooks, I think, to keep the past intact. Otherwise, it just dissipates. It's scary, if you ask me. Sometimes, when you forget things, you can ask the people who share the same history with you, but their versions will always be somewhat different.

It's actually quite silly, if you ask me. I'm a person who's a slow adjuster. I'm more comfortable with the past and present. So why am I so forgetful about the past? My memoryscape is like a flat country. No momentous mountains upset the level terrain; no harrowing troughs and canyons line the earth.

Sometimes I get jolted by things, such as autograph books, and I feel horrified--horrified that I could forget so many things unknowingly. Events, feelings, friends.

That's why I like to write, even if they seem like banal "appendices" and "field notes" of my life: How I enjoy the McDonald's breakfast every Monday morning as it takes away a bit of the Monday blues, how I had steamboat at Coca with my family yesterday and I had to go to the toilet 3 times today due to the spicy soup they served. These field notes mostly revolve around food and books.

No comments: