25 Oct 2006

In a different light


What exactly makes for a good vacation? I think it could be a mix of various things, like good company (thanks, H!), good-natured weather, friendly locals, plentiful and cheap shopping and food (this one is a bit hmm...), interesting places. Most of all, I think it's about a feeling. I told a colleague that Australia seems to have a curious hold over me--every time I go there I don't really have a lot of fun, but yet after a while I would always think of going back.

But this time round, I don't feel so ambivalent: Australia, especially Perth, is a great place to be if you wish to hit the pause button for a while and step back. Different things work for different people, but physical space just does it for me. And space is what Australia has, in abundance. The land, the sky, the sea, all bathed in the warm light. It's that feeling of wide expanse and openness that makes Australia so fascinating for me.


I shall write more about the trip and upload the photos we took there soon!

No comments: