16 Mar 2006

Brats we are

I was at a diner with 2 of my friends. WL has been on leave for the past 2 days and she bemoaned having to get back to work the next day. We all know that feeling well.

Just then, I became aware that we were being served by a middle-age auntie. I like aunties, they always take everything in their stride without fuss. They are made of more resilient stuff than the younger ones, the whiny, filmsy brats. I was acutely ashamed of myself.

She was doing manual work, dirty work, serving us, us who are complaining about working in air-conditioned comfort, who are probably getting twice the amount of salary than her, us who were going to a hotel lounge later for jazz and mocktails. And when we are gone, she'll be clearing up the mess we left behind.

She reminds me of my mother. Some years ago, she decided to be a part-time helper at a beef noodle stall near our home. She's had very little formal education and it was, frankly, the only type of work she could get hired for. I remember every night after work, she would come back with a bag of chocolate pancakes that she got at a discount from a neighbouring stall. I never heard her complain about tiredness or boredom. I think she relished the feeling of being able to earn a living, of being useful to people other than her own brood. For her, being able to work is a privilege.

I wonder how the aunties see us. We lament about being submerged in lukewarm water that's too comfy and about the necessity of getting stimulated by hot/cold water once in a while to feel alive. What about those people who have to be in those waters because they really have no other choice?

I will not complain my life away. I will not. That's not the way it should be. I may fumble and stop to rest awhile along the way, but I cannot plonk myself down on the path like a spoilt child and whimper, refusing to go on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alamak...

Perhaps you are right... we are like the Peanuts generation. More overwhelmed by our little anxieties than needs...

Anonymous said...

Actually, not everyone has qualms about being comfortably immersed in lukewarm conditions. After all, what's wrong with being comfy, albeit the crinkled skin... Since not everyone wants botox, we can safely draw inference that some can live with that... and still be happy.

Sometimes, we just feel it therapeutic looking at the other side and imagining it to be better. And though we harp on wanting a change, we have more gripes when it happens.

I second your resolution. Indeed, we should continue plodding on whatever the circumstance. The world will not stop spinning whether we decide to indulge in self-pity, or if we choose to be happy.

The choice is really obvious....

june said...

thanks for leaving a comment oddball, though the things you wrote don't sound very odd. :)

Enjoyed reading your blog and hong's, they relieve some of the boredom at work, but musn't complain...