29 Mar 2006

Things that I like (I)



I like....

....being at the edge of consciousness, the place of twilight and dawn. Where up is down, heat is ice, and where illusion and truth exist side by side. Where dark emptiness expands into infinity only to be filled to the brim by swirls of colourful notions. It is the runway where fantastical thoughts take flight, the realm where dreamscape and reality are so intertwined that I can no longer tell them apart.

Like a feather on a paper's edge, pining for the encouragement of a gentle breath to drift and fall away.

I was nodding gently on the train, which was stoically carrying me to the other side, rocking me to sleep. I heard a voice in front of me, filling my head. I wish I could say the voice has a melodious lilt, but it was flat, with no pointy pronunciation, no sing-song intonation. It was just a sweet, flat voice from a sweet, unseen girl. It soothed me tremendously, and I'll never tire of the voice, I thought. She was talking to her friend and yet she was talking to me too. I heard every word, but I understood none. Every word is empty, so I filled them with my own story. I don't fret over it.

My stop approaches, I had to wake. I pulled myself back from the edge and searched the faces in front of me. So many faces, whose voice was it? Should I compliment her? How to? But the voice has melted away. Or did I imagine it? Who knows?

No comments: