23 Apr 2006

Things that I like (II)


I like....

....the smell of the approaching rain, of the brewing storm.


It draws me to the window. It beckons me to slow down my strides. To smell the air that is more intoxicating than the syrupy red roses.

The dark clouds rush to swallow the sun, the thunder grumbles gently, and the cool wind tugs at my hair and whips it into a frenzy, but I don't feel uneasy. I draw deep breaths and fill my brain with the rush of nostalgia and anticipation. It's the scent of the past and the future. And it makes me feel alive in the present.

How do you describe it? It's not the smell of rain, which is a mix of clean dirt and wet cement. It's heady but not strong; crisp but not sharp. It tingles the mind, but does not deliver a buzz like coffee. It smells elemental, a very basic smell, and yet nothing comes close to it. I know what it is not, but yet I really don't know what it is.

1 comment:

Jorge Gajardo Rojas said...

is the smell of life waiting for you.